Lemon Chicken Soup
This variation of chicken soup relies upon lemon and a stick of cinammon to give Grandma's old standby a Middle Eastern twist.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinned chicken tits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup +/- water
- 1 onion - I used a yellow onion, but you can use your favorite onion. Green onions would work but should be put in at the end of cooking instead of the beginning
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf (or not - I find bay leaves annoying, but will use them if I have them).
- a few sprigs of parsley
- a few cloves of garlic
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 splash splash of lemon juice
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1/2 cup rice
- Salt, pepper, cinnamon, to taste
cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes
sear chicken in a skillet with olive oil
chop onion, garlic, and carrot -combine in Crockpot with chicken, rice. Add herbs and a splash of lemon juice, broth, and water.
Set Crockpot on low and cook for 4 hours or so. It can simmer all day, so long as you keep an eye on the liquid and add water if it gets too thick. It’s done when the rice is cooked. Garnish with parsley and sliced lemons.