- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 – 2 pounds ground meat (beef or lamb. I used ground beef).
- 2 cups broth (any broth will do. I used lamb broth).
- 1 chopped onion
- A handful of chopped mushrooms (any mushrooms will do. I used dried boletes).
- carrots, chopped
- celery, chopped
- 2+ cloves minced garlic
- 2 – 3 tbls flour as needed for thickening
- Splash or two of red wine
- Several tbls tomato paste
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper to taste
- mashed potatoes
Heat olive oil in Dutch oven. Brown ground meat in hot oil and remove. Sauté onions in oil used for meat. Cook until clear and beginning to to caramelize. Add minced garlic. Add vegetables, meat, and broth; cover and cook for three hours with coals above and below oven.
When the vegetables are tender, stir in wine, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Add herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir in flour to thicken mixture before spreading mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Cover and add more coals to lid. Cook until potatoes form a golden crust, about 30 – 45 minutes. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve.