Hot spiced wine is a perfect way to take the edge off the drizzly season. We made this in a 2 1/4 gallon cast iron potjie suspended over the fire from a tripod. It would work just as well in a crock pot on low.
- 2 bottles of red wine (we used cheap cabernet)
- ¼ bottle brandy (more or less, to taste)
- 1 ½ pints unfiltered apple cider (more or less, to taste)
- 2 oranges, sliced into wheels
- star anise
- cinnamon sticks
- small handful of brown sugar (more or less, to taste – actually all these ingredients are more or less, to taste)
Combine all liquid ingredients in a large pot. Tie the spices up in a clean bandana or some cheese cloth and drop in pot. Stir in sugar and add sliced oranges. Suspend pot high above low flame. Heat until steaming; avoid boiling. Serve hot but not scalding.