I started chopping out the charred wood from yesterday’s burn. It went pretty well, but I decided I wanted it to look more like a canoe, so I rolled it over and used a string to measure where I needed to cut.
I trimmed and shaped the bows with the chainsaw, and used a wedge and maul to remove the wood.
My bar wasn’t anywhere near large enough to do it properly, and I’m not particularly skilled with the chainsaw, so the results were pretty crude. I left enough wood that I should be able to finesse the shape later with the hand tools.
It will do for now; I can see what it is going to look like, and have a better idea how far I can go hollowing it out. Hey, it’s progress.
Visit adventuresidecar.com for other adventures, poetry and even recipes.
More information about the dugout canoe project can be found at: